A dog is eating junk food
Dogs love to eat and will eat almost anything they can get their hands on. They may not like it, but they will still jump to grab it. Being a dog owner is a hands-on job because it also entails knowing the kind of foods that are good and bad for your dog. One mistake can lead to severe health problems for your furry little friend. Below is a list of toxic foods that you should never give to your dog.
Onions and garlic
Onions, garlic and chives, or any other foods that belong to the onion family are harmful to your dog. They can cause gastronomical irritation and red blood cell damage. Symptoms may reveal themselves in a few days.
Chocolate, however delicious, is poison to your dog. Chocolate is rich in a stimulant called theobromine that can cause kidney failure in dogs. No matter how much we like it, it is one of the most toxic foods for dogs.
Another toxic food for your dog is macadamia nuts. They contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system, leading to swollen limbs, panting, and weakness.
Corn on the cob
Corn on the cob is another fatal food for your dog. The corn itself is fine and will be digested quickly, but the cob, if eaten, will get stuck in the dog’s intestine and cause a blockage.
Avocados are another poisonous food for your dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin in its leaves, fruit and its seed. Eating it can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Artificial sweetener (XYLITOL)
Candies, chewing gum, drinks and some kinds of peanut butter are laced with this sweetener. It releases insulin in our bodies when we consume these sweetened foods. But if your dog were to eat one of these things, it can go into hypoglycemia which can cause blood clotting disorders and liver failures.
Alcohol is another toxic food for your dog. It can have severe adverse effects even if consumed by the dog in small doses. Like humans, it causes intoxication in dogs and leads to sickness, central nervous system damage, and diarrhea.
Grapes are another harmful food for your dog. They have a toxin in them, and the active ingredient that causes the toxin to activate is unknown, but grapes can certainly cause liver damage and kidney failure.
Giving your dog a raw, uncooked bone to chew is a great eating option and can make for a delicious treat, but, although not a toxic food, a cooked bone is the worst thing to give to your dog. Cooked bones can easily splinter and can cause constipation. They can also lead to perforations which can be fatal.
Like grapes, raisins can also cause kidney failure and liver damage in dogs. So, avoid giving these two toxic foods to your dogs at all costs.
To Sum It Up
In a situation when your dog eats one of these things, take it to the vet without wasting any time. If you liked what you read or have any questions regarding dog food, let us know in the comments below.